20 February 2008

Trad Tretorns


Tretorns. How much can a shoe say? This one says a lot.

1980s. Tennis shorts that were short and made out of cotton. Fred Perry shirts. The Prince just starting to shove wood Jack Kramers off the courts. Long legged girls in tennis skirts with sweaty bangs on their forehead and a two handed backhand. Losing to a girl. Drinking cold Gins and Tonic later. She lights a cigarette. I arch an eyebrow. She crosses her legs and her tennis skirt hikes up another inch and a half. I lean to her and whisper, "How can I get back at you for beating me on the court?" She smiles and answers...

Anyway, these Tretorns were bloody hard to find. Zappos had zippo when it came to my size. These are made out of sail canvas. I love them. And the memories they bring me.

4 comments:

JJ said...

I had forgotten all about these shoes. I recently purchased a pair of Stan Smiths - 2 for $89 from Footlocker.com. To me they are the greatest sneakers ever made. Plain, simple and comfortable.

Alice Olive said...

I love your memories best! Very visual. I remember short tennis shorts too...

Anonymous said...

If I may: ginS and tonic. Any snarky prep-schooler knows that.

tintin said...

Jack- You may. You must. What was I thinking. I may be snarky but had a horrible education. "...make mine a G&T"