20 May 2011

NY Tailors: Leonard Logsdail

Len's kitchen


Cool Italian wool


Matching...in a good way



Patterns

Gekko's Pattern


More patterns


and even more patterns

Kenny G?


View of the courts









































$850 for ready made






$6,500 for bespoke

Jacket canvas






Len Logsdail has a solid reputation as being approachable and about as down to earth as you can get without digging a well. He reckons his nature has a lot to do with his success. When you're gonna drop $6,500 on a bespoke suit it helps to like the guy you're giving all that money to. It's hard not to like Len.

Len's studio is on 53rd Street just east of Paley Park and above Hamburger Heaven. Like Len, the front of the house is comfortable, relaxed and happily void of any pretentious bullshit. Even the celebrity client photo is of a no bullshit celebrity, Frank Langella. There was beautiful Spring light streaming in through open southern windows the day I visited and I couldn't help but think what a great restaurant Len's space would make.

Len takes me to the back of the house (plenty of room for a kitchen) and shows me a sport jacket he's working on in an Italian plaid. Not to my liking but you can't help but admire how feather light the fabric is. Len explains his house style is not so much Henry Poole-like as much as Poole is Lenord Logsdail - like. This is said as a matter of fact. There's nothing wrong with being down to earth and confident.

There's an old-world ostentation that you frequently see on Savile Row and in most Polo stores. Len isn't afraid to say it's a haughtiness that's born more out of resentment than station or rank. I'm a long time believer in the origins of arrogance being born of stupidity. The more you know, the less you have to pretend you know. You know?

Len isn't faking it. He has a great sense of humor and it shows most enjoyably in his linings. Whether a suit, sport coat or a pair of tweed boxers...Len's linings surprise, amuse and generate ideas and inspiration I've never thought of before. Really crazy ideas.

If you don't have $6,500 to drop on a suit or $5,000 on a sport coat or $1,600 on a pair of trousers, you may want to consider an affordable ready made line Len has recently come out with. You can see it on line here.

11 comments:

Mike said...

Awesome! Well done!

Alice Olive said...

He outfitted GG?!

Oyster Guy said...

"I'm a long time believer in the origins of arrogance being born of stupidity. The more you know, the less you have to pretend you know. You know?"

Bang on ! Delightful to see things made with integrity. I will be sure to visit.

Main Line Sportsman said...

That Kenny G disc jumped out ar me as well....scary.
The equestrian lining on that jacket is just outstanding!

The Red Velvet Shoe said...

When you show us this sort of "world" I am dumbfounded at the brilliant talent of such persons. I think I deserve CFDA Fashion Award for hemming my husband's trousers...it's so humbling. One so talented can listen to whatever he wants....

My Affair with Michael Bastian said...

Great craftsmanship but for $6500 I'd rather get something from Isaia or B. Cucinelli...

Rake said...

And THAT, MAwMB, is precisely what's wrong with menswear today. For $6500, Len's garmets will be head and shoulders above Isaia or the Cooch's more mass-produced goods - but then again, you reference Muchael Bastian in your handle, so credibility is out of the question...

Easy and Elegant Life said...

Love the linings. I'd have to pull a Johnny Carson and flash the lining every time I walked through a door. Or I might just sit there with an amused smile on my face all day.

Anonymous said...

All of my jackets from Len, would have a silk print lining of Alfred E. "what, me worry?" Newman looking out at you..

Ville said...

What made Logsdail stand out for me was the praise and patronage of G. Bruce Boyer. He knows his stuff like Logsdail must know his. You know?

tintin said...

Ville- Len has a loyal following, that's for sure.